If SnapChat turns out to be “the next big thing” after Pinterest, Instagram, etc., here are some interesting facts for all of us to consider…:
- …the founders graduated from Stanford — not dropouts.
- …the company was really built in Los Angeles — not Silicon Valley or SF or NYC.
- …the product soared on the back of iOS and SMS — not Facebook or Twitter.
- …the company is built around consumer digital images — not hardware, not enterprise.
- …the product initially looked like a toy — not a communication tool.
- …the product was copied by Facebook — not acquired, because SnapChatters want to avoid FB.
- …and, the investor who scooped the deal is Benchmark — the most quiet of the top tier VC firms.